Email (phishing), SMS (smishing), as well as phone (vishing) scams are major fraudulent acts of attempting to acquire sensitive financial information, such as credit card details, security codes, identity card numbers, ATM pin codes and so on - or any other confidential access data such as usernames and passwords by claiming to be from a bank or authorities asking or making urgent appeal for you to verify, re-register or update your account. Once you responded to such requests, you will most likely incur financial losses from your account.
One thing for sure - the banks will not ask you to verify information in this manner.
So... how do you identify a scam?
- You receive an email, SMS or phone call, claiming to be from the bank... say, Hong Leong Bank, or CIMB Bank, or more commonly as well, claiming to be from Maybank under their Maybank2u. The notice will request you to provide personal information and financial information.
- You receive emails or SMS containing a URL link which will lead you to a unsecured fraudulent web site.
- You receive emails requesting you to open attachments or free software that may contain malicious software such as spyware or trojans that are designed to steal your personal data.
- Pop-up windows asking for personal information - usually I would just close them.
Easy. Remember, unless you call or initiate a call with the Bank, do not bother giving any information, especially the personal or financial details at all. Do not click on any random URL internet link claiming to be from the bank. Check the email addresses where they are coming from. Ensure the authenticity of the site by observing the padlock icon on the address bar, and also make sure there is a web certificate for the web site.
Remember - Always check, and re-check what you are signing up for. =)



2 comments:
Great blog here! Also your site loads up fast!
What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol
My site : magnetic mosaics
Gooԁ day! I сοuld have swoгn I've visited this website before but after going through some of the articles I realized it's
neω to me. Νonethеlesѕ,
I'm definitely delighted I discovered it and I'll be bookmarκing
іt and checκing back oftеn!
Review my blog post ; Aloe Vera Uses
Post a Comment